08 Jun Environmental Benefits of a Metal Roof
At American Metal Roofs, we install Classic Roofing Systems for their beauty, longevity and because a Classic Metal Roof is the most environmentally friendly roof you can buy. Our roofs will save you money, while helping to protect our planet.
Just take a look at these environmental benefits:
- Made from 95% recycled content
- Minimal carbon footprint, unlike traditional shingles
- Special Kynar 500® or Hylar 5000 hI-R coating reflects radiant heat
- Cuts energy costs by up to 20%
- Reduces attic temperatures by up to 34%
- Integral “dead” airspace blocks heat transfer by conduction
- Lower cooling load can extend air conditioner life
- Integrates with most photovoltaic solar collection systems
- Low weight allows installation over most existing roofs
- Eliminates the need for landfill disposal of old roofing
- Low weight minimizes transportation cost
- Long-life sustainability
- Aluminum products can be repainted but will likely never need replaced
- Low weight roofing can extend a building’s life
- 100% recyclable if it is ever replaced
- Very low “Embodied Energy”
- Virtually zero out-gassing
Keep the “Green” in your wallet: Save On Your Energy Bills
Our Kynar 500® and Hylar 5000® coatings incorporate our advanced hI-R Heat Barrier technology to create a roof that keeps your home naturally cooler thanks to special reflective pigments. The complex chemical structure of these pigments reflects the infrared portion of the sun’s rays that is most responsible for heat gain. A hI-R Classic roof leaves the attic space and the entire home much cooler in the summer. Proud owners of Classic roofs report saving up to 20% or more on their energy costs.
The formed thickness of your Classic roof provides further energy efficiency. The integral “dead” airspace between the aluminum and your roof deck acts as a thermal break, stopping heat transfer by conduction. This behaves much like the airspace between the plates of glass in a thermal pane window.
The ability of a low weight Classic aluminum roof to be installed over your old shingles is also beneficial. In addition to saving your money and avoiding landfill disposal, your old roof provides thermal mass – additional insulation to help keep summertime heat outside of your attic.
Cool Roofing At Its Best
This blocking of both radiant and conductive heat provides the best possible recipe for a cool roof for your home. Studies have shown reduced attic temperatures of up to 34%. When your attic is kept cooler, your air conditioner runs less and you save money.
A Classic metal roof can also help you achieve good attic ventilation. Ventilation is a key to even greater energy efficiency and it also helps guards against winter ice damming in cold climates.